Thursday, May 3, 2012

Kegerator Shelf: On the Cheap

So, you've seen pictures of the kegerator before with 3 kegs inside. What I havent mentioned before is that they barley fit, and as a result push up against the gas line coming into the side of the fridge. So I decided we needed to build a shelf so we dont waste the space in the back taken up by the "hump," i.e., the compressor. Since the kegs are relatively short they will easily fit even when raised about a foot off the floor of the fridge.

I was off last Friday and started searching Craigslist.org for "free wood." I found a guy with some 1" thick wood shelves that he was getting rid of so I went and got those. I then put 2 of the shelves side-by-side and screwed them into a 3rd piece that split the two above. I then found a guy who recently tore down his deck and went and got a 4"x4" post to make some extra supports for underneath the shelve. Thankfully, there is a Home Depot near our house and I took the wood down there and had them cut it for me.

This afternoon after work I came home and put the shelf in with the beams and was easily able to fit all 4 kegs in there as well as the #5 CO2 tank. Now that we have the extra room in the kegerator we can make some real lagers and actually lager the beer for 3-4 months before we start drinking them. A way of "forgetting" about them in the back of the kegerator. We'll also be able to carbonate a beer while still having all 3 taps going thanks to the small CO2 tank. I'm very excited about the increase in capacity of the kegerator and I think we've finally finished everything we can do to it.....I guess I'll have to find a new "brew project" when we get to Raleigh.

 As I said above, we did this on the cheap, here's the break down of costs:
 4"x4"x8' post: $0
10"x20" shelves (x5): $0
Wood screws: $0
Saw for cuts (Home Depot): $0
Grand Total: $0. Boom. #TeamDietrich

No comments:

Post a Comment