Friday, May 11, 2012

Brett B



Yesterday was my last day of rotations and Elise made beef Tagine to celebrate. Made with cinammon, red pepper flakes, and lots of hot smoked Hungarian paprika I thought a Brett B, with its funk and tartness, would go well with the meal. It did. I decided to take a picture of the brew as well and do a review as I need to start actually reporting our results.

Appearance: crystal clear, nice head, and a beautiful golden-yellow hue.

Aroma: dirt, funk, and an indescribable "odor" of sorts. I dont know if I can call it "horse blanket" or "barnyard" but it is close to that. I like the way it smells as it "stinks" in good, different, unique way. Elise on the other hand, turns her nose when I even walk by her with a pint; oh well, more for me.

Taste: subtle citrus, mostly faint hints of lemon, clean, and a very crisp finish. The aroma of funk/dirt does not translate into taste as this is a light, crisp, slightly sweet brew. Nicely carbonated. Pairs well with a variety of foods as the funk accentuates unique spices (cinammon, tumeric, etc) and the bubbles cleanse the palate for the next bite.

Overall: a very good beer (to some). I like this one a lot and it makes me really want to do the Biere de Marrs and 100% Brett B brews again for the upcoming hot months. The crispness lends itself towards sipping on warm summer nights and the funk pairs well with spiced dishes that Elise and I are becoming quite fond of (e.g., Moroccan Chicken, Beef Tagine).This beer is definitely out there and not for everyone, as you either love it or you hate it. This house is split, but I still think I'll make a few gallons of it because I know there are at least a couple of other people who would split a pint with me.

Desert tonight consisted of a angel food-type cake with a chocolate ganash and strawberry topping. We paired that with an old bottle of Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout we had laying around. A very good pairing as Yeti compliments anything with chocolate in it and very good end to the day. Now it's crunch time as we've only got 19 days before we're gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment