Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Single Hop Pale Ale: Centennial v Cascade


Today while I was off from school for a day I brewed 5 gallons of pale ale in which it was split into two batches. The first one was made with only centennial hops and the second was with only cascade hops. To try to make everything else the same except for the hops, I only did one mash. After all of the worst was drained, I split it 50/50 and made each of the beers 1 at a time.

I usually dont do a mash out which is raising the grain temperature to above 170 with your sparge water which denatures all of the mash enzymes to "lock in" your fermentability. I did this today because the wort for the cascade brew sat for ~90 minutes while I was brewing the centennial batch. Hopeully, during this time, there wasnt any more conversion because it would make the beer more fermentable and different from the centennial version.

Each beer got ~30 IBUs of bittering at 60 minutes, then 0.33oz at 10 minutes and 0.66oz at 5 min; each will also get 0.5 oz worth of dry hops. Each beer should be about the same IBUs (~50) which will allow us to compare the flavor/aroma of the hops to eachother without having differing levels of bitterness. Whenever we get around to the next series of Single Hops we are probably going to do Columbus and Chinook followed then by Simcoe and Amarillo.

No comments:

Post a Comment