Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Pale Ale



Over the weekend with Elise’s parents in town, I was able to brew another batch of Pale Ale. With football season coming up (and a lot of darker beers on tap), I thought keeping a Pale Ale on tap would be nice. With the last batch turning out so well, I decided to keep most of the recipe the same. We’ll still do pale malt with a mix of C40 and C60, but instead of CaraPils, I subbed Munich Malt. Hopefully the Munich will add a touch more maltiness and body to the beer.

I also changed the hopping up a bit. This time we’ll bitter with Chinook, then 1 oz of Cascade at 20min. At 2 min we’ll add 1 oz of Cascase and 1.5 oz of Chinook (pic above of the 2.5 oz of hops). We’ll dry hop with only 1 oz of Chinook this time. With the last pale ale, we did 2 oz of dry hop and I felt as though 2 ounces should have produced more hop aroma than it did. I don’t know if it is a result of hopping in the keg, or some other reason, but this time I’ll add more hops at the very end of the boil and add less as a dry hop. I hope that the Chinook with add a nice herbal/spiciness to the citrus characters from the Cascade. We’ll see how that turns out. This one should be similar to the last batch and clock in around 5.5-5.6% and be ready in about 3 weeks.

There’s been some developments at Rowdy Reptile in the last week regarding the kegerator, but more on that later.

#TeamDietrich

No comments:

Post a Comment